Wednesday 1 January 2014

Procrastination and Words

Are you waiting for a specific date to do something?

Like what I hear you ask? How about...
...new years resolution (it is timely that I am thinking about this on the 31st December...)
...changing a habit
...starting sometime new

But hang on....
Why Wait?
What's stopping you from just doing it today?

In some ways I agree with having a set date to accomplish something by, and sometimes to start a project is often dictated by other events we cannot control. But mostly starting out on something...waiting for one date at some random point in the future is surely just putting off, just delaying, just finding an excuse not to do something Now.

Why does your new running regime or diet need to start on the 1st of some random month. An indiscriminate date you chose to fit in with what feels comfortable in your timetable for life.

Isn't today just as good?
I get why we choose round figures or a new something - this order pleases the OCD temperaments of the world (partially me), I get that it's good to start something on a Monday, or the 1st. But in reality, the delay is just another way to pass 'n x 24hrs' before the mission gets started.

Time gone.
Time never to be gained back.
Time spent procrastinating.
What are you doing between now and lift off date?

And don't get me started on the...."I'm going to try to do xxx this time/month/year". Why Try?

Are you going to TRY to do something? Or just DO it?
Why try? Trying implies you might not give it your all.
Doing means you are committed.
Doing means you want to succeed.
Trying implies you will settle for something less than what you actually would love to get your hands on.

Do it.
Do it now.

There's a saying that I firmly believe in. There is debate over who quoted this, but it's often attributed to the author Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Life is one continual learning curve. You do something. It either succeeds or it fails. But actually did it fail...or did you find a way to learn from what happened and continue learning, growing and seeking what you're looking for. Failure is simply you giving up and not finding a different route to your goal. Failure is for the misguided who wrongly think that the successful people in the world don't have to repeatedly learn and climb that learning curve. Failure is for those who don't like hard work.

I'll leave you with a final thought, one of my motto's in life.

FILDI.
What's the worst that can happen?


2 comments:

  1. Love this post Lynne! Why not do it today indeed? I received a massive compliment from someone we were WWOOFing with: Sometimes when she said we could leave something until the next day I said why not just do it now and get it done? A little while later she told me that she has started referring to "just do it now and get it done" as the "Matt Tack way". I was chuffed, as I have always admired people like that.

    Can I recommend you read this link on living with 24 hours a day: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/01/02/how-to-live-on-24-hours-a-day/. It was written in 1910 and is still as relevant today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I've always been minded to do things now...often saying to myself "why put it off til tomorrow if I can do it today", usually with the chore type things around the house etc - a way of just getting stuff done! I've read the article...it's brilliant, definitely very relevant and everyone would be wise to read, and digest the message.

      Delete