Tuesday 6 December 2011

Wonderously Tame

What a wonderful day today is. I went out for my first run in way too long. There's been a few days of snow in Glossop, beautiful white hills just above town. This morning brought us slushy wet white stuff on the roads and pavements down here. I had a run planned for today and as it's been about 5 weeks since I last went out I just wanted an easy road run, so before venturing out I waited on the weather. Not being chicken, just realistic for the sake of my health. By lunchtime the pavements were clear of slush and the sky looked promising for a dry half hour. Perfect.

Shoes on. Garmin on. Gloves on. Buff on. Leggings on. Extra layer on top on. Montane smock on. Inhaler in a pocket. Phone in another. Key attached to bra strap. And I'm ready.

I really wasn't under any illusion that the run would be far in either distance or time - that was the point - keep it short, wake my legs and lungs up gently. I opted for a fairly flat run too. I am recovering from a chest infection after all and my tonsils are still not 100% (how annoying is that eh!?). But cabin fever and feeling strong after an almost full on training session at S&P yesterday won the day.

And it was just a little run, 20 minutes and 3.34km with about 38m elevation gain. Tame to say the least. But great to get out and move. I kept about 6min/km pace and ran the whole way. Now that's brilliant news. My pace hasn't dropped. I sense it won't take long until I'm back up to full fitness.

The lungs played up for a while once back at home, the pesky cough returning temporarily (I hope). I'll review how I feel in the morning - I feel positive all will be well - and then I'll plan my training for the rest of the month - returning to regular runs, full training at S&P and getting fitter fitter fitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment