Wednesday 28 December 2011

Peak 'O' Trial

My first race since moving to Glossop was chosen and the day arrived. In reality I only decided to run it just before Christmas and got to the Grouse thankful that the heavy rain of early morning had stopped. My plan was to just get all 5 checkpoints on the short course and finish. No aspirations to get in the top whatever, just enjoy myself. Registration dealt with and number pinned on leggings.

My race number
 My start time was 10:04, leaving in the second wave of starters. With just 2 minutes to study the map I was pleased to see I knew more or less where my first chosen checkpoint (CP) (#5 - you could get them in any order) was. "Off you go" shouted Gordon....and off I went. Up towards Monks Road, right and along until a track left....I leapfrogged up this track with Mrs Stagger and Helen who were doing the long course together. I knew where the stile was at Knarrs farm and was the first over....around the field and over the stile then after a short search I found my first ever checkpoint. What to do now? Luckily Mrs Stagger and a few others were upon me immediately and pointed out that there were boxes at the bottom of the map - thank you!  Clip. and off.

CP#3 was my next target in a clockwise direction that I'd chosen. Not that I'd made much of a decision at the start about the route I was taking! I knew the first couple of fields then after that I was on unknown territory - good nav practice for me. I came upon another runner who said the scale of the map was too small for him - for me it just fine. Not having run any other orienteering courses I've never used any other scale maps than 1:25k. Up past Rocks Farm onto Cown Edge. The other runner found the flag only a few seconds before I would have seen it and very helpfully shouted to me where it was. Clip. and off.

Now a long run round Coombes Edge....and a windy one too. I was being buffeted and nudged by the wind all the way down to CP#2. A lovely grassy run down - I'll be going there again. Then a bit of cautious heather bashing above the quarry - I didn't want to charge over the top of it. The same runner from #3 clipped just 30secs before me so saved a drawn out search in the quarry. Clip. and off.

But now where to go. I'd not had a chance to study where I was going to go so just climbed out of the quarry and pondered whether to run up the road from just north of the quarry or back to the path, joining the road further up. The nearer section of road had 2 of those 'very steep' markers on it so I took the path back eastwards joining the road higher up. CP#1 was my next target after the slog up the road. Whichever direction I was running the wind was straight into my face making breathing for me quite difficult. I pushed on, forcing myself to do a short run then walk, just about keeping in touch with another runner who'd passed me back where I'd joined the road. Left and past the house that's not marked on the map! Over the fields towards Whiteley Nab. I knew this bit so didn't need to study the map at all. Past the trees then down the north side of the Nab, then a bit of faffing trying to find CP#1 at the well....I dropped lucky again. I was in the right place but hadn't quite gone down far enough when two chaps searching for the CP found it...one shouted waved "it's here" to his mate, bent over and clipped.....I beelined for it and ran both feet straight into the boggy well. Great. I'd had dry feet up until that point. Oh well, mudclaws aren't meant to be clean and shiny. Clip. and off.

Now for the best line to CP#4. My last CP. I felt pleased to have got this far and feel fairly ok. My time was over an hour so 1.30hr may just be feasible....perhaps. Not that I was too bothered, but under 1.30 would be nice. I contoured round on the path, making sure I didn't drop down to Herod Farm...then used the long wall above Chunal to handrail me to the southerly point. I had a suspicion where the CP would be - secret local knowledge of Des' favourite spot on that hill - it proved right. What I didn't know was how to get there precisely from above it.  I floundered a bit in the marshes north of the wall and got a tad distracted by a male runner heading into the clough until the voice of Tim came back to me...'ignore all other runners - run your own race'. Good advice. I went to where I thought the wall dropped off down the hill and it turned out good - over the wall and jumped almost straight onto the CP. Clip. and off.

And down - not my favourite, and my least comfortable part of fell running. I realised that if I were better at running downhill I could break 1.30hr but it was not to be today. After pushing up the grassy field and over the gate I managed only a few short running sections. My legs were tired and heavy. The wind was bothering me more than I should have let it, but my lungs were complaining. I force another short run on the road, walk a bit in the layby and then run the last 20m to the Grouse (can't finish walking!). I'm finished. yey. and I got all 5 CPs. 1:32:26 was my recorded time and 10.82km (6.72miles). Best of all I was first lady on the short course, but only just - I was apparently only 10 seconds faster than the next lady. That'll do nicely. My first win as a Glossopdale Harrier.

CP order: 5-3-2-1-4 (6&7 were for the long course)
A few things to note. I had incredibly cold feet for at least the first 2km. It puzzled me until they'd warmed up, or when I stopped noticing it. I'd been inside until only 5 mins before I started and they couldn't have gotten so cold so quickly. What I now realise is my shoes were still wet from running up Win Hill on Monday so the cold wind just whipped into them. I also had cold hands but had deliberately set off without gloves to stop faffage with map, compass and at CPs. As usual, my hands warmed up within 10 mins. Back at the pub I noticed my hand was aching from gripping onto the map so tightly. I didn't want to lose it in the wind. Must practice that a bit to get used to it. I feel like I could have run bits faster, or run more than walking had the wind been less. That's the joy of fell running. Even though I set out to do my own thing I can see how it's hard not to get competitive when you see another runner heading the direction as you. I was certainly pulled on and pushed myself harder because of people just up ahead of me than if I'd been running alone. Must get my Glossopdale Harriers vest for my next race.

Thanks to Des et al for organising the race, and to the Grouse for their hospitality, delicious soup and cakes. The log fire was most welcomed when I got back. Good to see familiar and new faces too.

Here's my garmin track if you're interested...click here and Tim's blog if you've not already seen it.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. You should check out the British orienteering site for some other Orienteering events in an area you don't know to test your skills further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark, I've got the British O site on my list of things to check out...not sure how many events are held around Glossop - I'm not too keen on having to spend time/money travelling to events so no doubt that will limit what I could get to - would rather just be out there enjoying the hills!

    ReplyDelete