Tuesday 9 August 2011

Stronger

Today is my low mileage day...or so it's meant to be. I'd arranged to meet a friend in Hope (where I'm house sitting for a few nights) today about 4pm to go for a run. I'd warned them today was a short day, and I'd be taking regular walk breaks, and walking the uphill sections. So. 4pm comes, we meet and off we go. It's a lovely sunny afternoon and I'm heading up my favourite hill. I know Win Hill pretty well. I used to head up there after school fairly regularly, and it's most likely the first place I dabbled in fell running. I recall being bored of walking as it took too long to cover familiar ground; by running I could cover ground I knew well then explore other parts of the local area. I'm pretty sure I didn't do much running when I lived round here years ago, but it did fire up something inside me that's never left. I love the hills. And I love being in them and exploring them. So today, heading up Win Hill I was a little nervous. I have to say that my friend is someone I've not known for long, but she's a good lass, and also a good runner - well a good athlete all round having done quite a few races, and many of them long distance endurance stuff.  Me, I'm just a humble aspiring fell runner. And I was worried I'd be way too slow. No problem, I catch her a few days after the Long Tour of Bradwell where she came lower down the field than last year, but then she is nursing some interesting injuries, including ribs that popped out!! I feel even more humbled in my effort to trot up the hill....but no need, she's glad of a slow steady run.

What I'm getting round to is that I feel like I sustained a steady pace on the uphill section, which is steep if you know Twitchill Farm - and onwards to the top. I've not downloaded the garmin stats yet, but looking at my overall pace it is promising for good improvements in my fitness. We chat away as we walk to the top with the sun beating down on us. Turning towards Hope Cross we start running and what I've not admitted to is that this is only my second fell run in nearly 10 weeks! It's an easy track, grassy but rutty, nothing too challenging. I take one short walk break just because my head says it should then we continue, taking a short left hairpin back towards Hope.

Now the track turns interesting. Rocky. Loose rocks. And not uniform in any way. My running companion doesn't look bothered at all but I am fully concentrated on each step, not wanting to twist an ankle or trip. I end up running directly behind her part of the way as I figure she's picking the best line. In reality it's much of a muchness across the track. Lower down it calms down and I can pick my own line. Wow, I need to practice this much much more.

I manage to only feel like needing one short walk break on the way down, and wonder again if it's more for effect than necessity. Who knows. We run on, past the farm, on to the grassy field, through another gate and on to the dreaded tarmac lane. It feels tough on my legs - they're tiring now, but not so much that I need to walk.

I've managed to keep a pace going where I can talk the whole time, and feel really good. My tibialis anterior (lower leg muscle) on both legs feels tight and I know I've got some foam rollering to do later on. Down the lane and before I know it we're back in Hope and waving goodbye to each other as I head back to house sitting duties and she heads home.

Running with someone today made such a difference. I probably ran slower than I would on my own, but I ran way further than I would have done. Today was, afterall, a short run day. But hey, if I can manage 8.5km in 1hr 10mins (or so - no stats yet) then I'm happy. I wonder what my long run at the weekend will be.....I know I don't like the up hill bits, but just digging in and walking them, then enjoying the flat/downhills is great. Of course good company and sunshine on a crystal clear day help. Equally I like the solitute of exploration that the Dark Peak gives.

I do feel stronger on my runs. Physically that is. I think I now have some mental work to do, focussing on less walk breaks which I probably don't need, but also stopping all the "I can't do it" thoughts that creep in. Today has shown me I can do more than I think. I'll hang on to that feeling when I lace up my running shoes at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment