Thursday 19 December 2013

Barefoot Running Research: week 1 summary

My participation in the research is looking uncertain. The crucial factor being whether or not the student whose research I'm taking part in can supply me with a pair of fivefinger shoes. It's looking unlikely but I am dedicated to their project (somewhat for selfish reasons in learning about my own progression and improvement) and have been doing my daily exercises along with Tim every day. I've found the routine of doing mobilisations and stretching good, the calf raises have been harder than I thought and the balance board is coming along nicely. I've now started looking at the price of fivefingers and am mulling over whether I'll buy a pair anyway...watch this space! (update since I drafted this blog, good news: it's almost likely I will get a pair now)

No actual barefoot running takes place until week 4 (when the shoes are needed by) but I have started barefoot walking. And I mean actual barefoot - no shoes, outside, in December. Let me tell you...it's blinking cold out there, and when there's a layer of ice on the car it's numbingly cold. I've done 20 minutes barefoot walking each day over the last week. One day I wore my xtalon 212s without insoles. The concern with them is that they firstly don't allow my toes to spread quite as much as barefoot, and secondly, the stud on mine aren't worn down sufficiently for them to be totally flat so I feel every stud under my feet.

Another day I borrowed someones fivefingers but they aren't a long term solution as they're too big for me, no chance of running in them at all. After walking outside barefoot they do offer amazing comfort. Being unshod it an interesting experience. It allows each tiny little piece of gravel, each slight raise in the tarmac, each twig and leave to be felt. There are plenty of 'ouch!' and 'ooo's coming from me as I teeter around the 20 minute loop from home.

The guidelines for the intervention exercises advises I should be progressing into taking shorter steps and focusing on forefoot striking. Doing the latter unshod is more difficult than it sounds. I'm noticing every slight undulation in the pavements. Going uphill, which I would naturally do forefoot striking puts a much greater amount of pressure on the balls of your feet...therefore increasing the pressure on even the tiniest of sharp objects underfoot....'ouch!'.

The other thing I'm noticing is that barefoot walking takes an enormous amount of concentration... seeking out the smoothest passage across the pavement, stepping off curbs, needing more time to cross roads, watching for thorns by hedges. There's less time to be able to look around and enjoy the scenery. More time looking down. Will that ever change? The dangers of stepping on anything sharp, let along glass or thorns, will always be present. Do I want to have that constant watchful eye on each footfall?

I've done a little reading of barefoot running, read a guys account of his first fell race barefoot and am seeking out groups and places to be able to chat about all this. For now, onto week 2. I'll be doing the same intervention exercises but now on alternate days I will also be including some plyometric training.

2 comments:

  1. Good to read about the start of your journey into barefoot running and was wondering if you are applying this to your day to day shoes or just your running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I wear fairly minimal shoes mostly...xtalon 212s for fell are my preference.

      Delete