Saturday 20 August 2011

Saturday wandering

Today is run day. I slip on my INOV8 Roclites after much deliberation over whether to go road or fell running. Fell is the choice I settle on, though I prepare myself for uphill walking and jogging what I can as the lungs permit me. Heading off from home I'm still not sure which way I'm going...vaguely towards Bleaklow. I don't fancy Mossy Lea/Shelf Bench today, so choose to make my way over Shire Hill and up Lightside to Yellowslacks. I'm ok running on the track in the bottom but come the uphill bit my lungs just don't play nice. I'm working out slowly that the more I think about it the more stressed I get about not being able to breath sufficiently to keep some uphill momentum going - the worse my breathing gets. Annoyingly I only figure this out later in the run as I settle down my breathing rate, oxygen gets in and muscles begin to work again without screaming in pain.

So, I walk all the way up to the slope to gain a great view of Glossop and over to Shelf Moor. Where now? I could head up to Dog Rock, then down via James Thorn. Or, as I chose, I could head to Cock Hill via Glossop Low. I'd read on the FRA forum about there being loads of big black flies out in force on Kinder. So far no sign of them. But as soon as I got heather bashing across to pick up the wooden boards and path to the shelter on top of Glossop Low there they were....hundreds of black flies. And they weren't shy about landing on me. One thing it did do was make me pick up my feet and hav a go at running through knee deep heather - that takes quite a bit of effort when, like me, you're not used to it. I had a few near misses with ankle twists in hidden holes, slowed a little to a fast walk, up and down the various water run offs and groughs, and catch sight of the wooden boards - lovely - I'll be able to pick up a bit of speed and leave the flies behind I hope. The plan works out and it's nice to be on squelching peat bog underfoot in between the boards.  Before I know it I'm at the top, quick turn south west and I'm on the path to Cock Hill. I say a cheery hello to some guy fixing a grouse butt without slowing pace. I'm not sure if there's a path/trod to the trig point from this direction so I just cut right after a short while and bash to the trig.


I check in with Tim - sending him a quick message with my location (he has no idea where I could be so to be safe I do this when I'm out alone) and take this snap.  The sky is starting to cloud over fairly significantly, and while I don't mind getting wet when running (it's nice to keep you cool), I'd prefer to be off the hill top if it starts hammering it down as these clouds could well do. Off I go, light footed and easy on the lungs down the nice path towards Moorside. There's a couple of horses with ponies in the field under the lower tree outcrop - one horse in particular doesn't seem to like my presence, then I realise it's foal is only a few metres away so I quick step it down the hill. I'm thankful it's still dry as I get lower down on the path - it turns quite rocky under foot and I'm certain my pace would be slower in the wet.

Next decision at Old Glossop - to go down through Manor Park, which I'd kind of planned on doing, or back up and over Shire Hill. I reckon I'll be near 10km by the time I get home on the latter and chose that way. Ok so it's got a kicker of a hill I'll have to walk but it's shorter. Working out vague timings I reckon I can get home in under1.5hrs.

distance: 9.61km
total time: 1:28:48
moving time: 1:23:07 (that allows for very short breathers and photo taking)
average moving pace: 8:38min/km

I'm slightly put out it's taken me 1.5hrs to do less than 10km. But, looking at the map I probably walked 3km of that in the uphill section and across the heather when I wasn't trying to run. Putting figures aside, I was very happy with the run. It was a glorious day (forgetting about the flies) to be out on the hill. I only saw 1 person close by and a couple of others in the distance. It was like the hill was all mine - how much better than that can it get right on your doorstep?

A final note - my INOV8 shoes are going great, no niggles at all. I am slightly on guard for damage to laces when bashing through heather following Tim's getting wrecked that way, but so far all good with mine.  I might get myself a pair of those sock gaitor things for over the shoes - stop all the bits getting in an itching the top of my feet...

No comments:

Post a Comment