Monday 23 December 2013

Barefoot Running Research: week 2 summary

Well that week went fast. The end of week 2 brought good news...I have a pair of fivefingers so I can now fully take part in the research project, fabulous.

This week has seen a continuation of the stretching, balance and proprioception exercises, daily 20 minute barefoot walks plus plyometric exercises on alternate days to strengthen feet and leg muscles. I've really made an effort to focus on forefoot strike during my walks and exercises and it already feels like I'm gaining strength.

The other noticeable thing is when walking on what feels like tippy-toes I sometimes just want to break into a run...so far I've restrained. I have however read the instructions for the intervention exercises again (more closely) and from week 3 (this week) I can start on short runs twice a week. So perhaps today will be the day of my first barefoot run.

Here's a summary of week 1 in case you missed it.

1 comment:

  1. Go on Lynne. I know what you mean. I find it hard to walk anywhere without breaking into a bit of a pitter-patter.

    ReplyDelete