Tuesday 24 December 2013

Barefoot Run

Today was the day I did my first ever barefoot run. Not entirely barefoot, I was wearing a pair of fivefingers, so as minimal as you can get. Over the past few weeks I've been doing daily 20 minute walks barefoot or in the fivefingers, building up gradually to doing a run. I have to say, running in the fivefingers was pretty good. I didn't feel any discomfort or pain, and it felt really natural. As part of the research project I'm a participant of the instructions guided me to run at a cadence of around 180 beats per minute....so, armed with a metronome off I went. To be honest it was a good pace. Short strides mean that there isn't a massive impact with each step, so it's just like tippy-toeing but a bit faster. Today's run was about 1.5km, I'll stick to that distance for a few weeks to build up strength, but I've already got my sights on a 5km loop from home as my target.

No comments:

Post a Comment