Friday 11 May 2012

Rhinog Run #1

Tuesday 1st May and our first morning in the Welsh Rhinogs. The plan is to run from our cottage above Llanbedr up to the top of Rhinog Fach at 712m and circle back via some yet to be determined route. Dawning bright and dry the weather looked promising, if a little windy. With suitable clothes for cold and rain (which was forecast), plus food and fluid packed for about 20km, we set off and headed mostly uphill for the first three kilometres. The route passes though fields and some old mines under Foel Wen (414m), habitated by sheep and wild mountain goats, the latter too fast to capture on camera!

Running along the track through the old mines, many buildings still evident
After the mines we headed down to Nantcol and then up the valley towards the col at the top of Bwlch Drws Ardudwy (pretty sure that's what it's called!). The plan then was to head up Rhinog Fach, but our approach was timing just right (or wrongly!) for the high winds sweeping in from the north east and inevitable rain the cold front was bringing. In fact, the summit of the mountain was being enveloped in cloud as we gained height.

With my lack of experience on rough terrain and absolutely no way we'd get a view from the top we changed plans. We munched a bit of food behind the shelter of a wall then retreated back down Nantcol after a brief look over the northern edge of the col. It was definitely the right decision, the wind really was howling from the northern side (we could see heather high above us being buffeted by the wind) which had not been totally evident as we approached in the relatively sheltered southern side.

Returning the same path meant another trip across one particularly marshy section - calf deep cold water and strangely teeming with tadpoles. Images of returning with fell shoes full of the little critters kept me amused, and maybe a little grossed-out!!  We returned to our cottage skirting under Foel Ddu at 477m - over 250m above the valley floor and gained in less than 2km - that's some climb. So much so that I dug into my sack for an energy gel - the first I've ever needed to use! Our reward for our efforts though was nearly 3km undulating soft grassy paths and downhill tracks back to a log fire and delicious dinner.

Rhinog Fach to the right....our intended target still visible before it got engulfed in cloud on our ascent

The whole run I was trying to keep my foot strikes light, using (or attempting to use) a bit of forefoot (or at least midfoot) strike with some forward lean to make my running more efficient. That's the idea anyway. I think it worked, after a total distance of 15.75km with 662m of ascent I knew I'd been out for a decent run, but wasn't absolutely trashed (maybe the energy gel helped!).

I do though keep getting frustrated that I can't run further, faster or better....but when I get those thoughts out of my head I had a great run. Being able to share the emptiness of the Rhinogs with Tim and not see more than two other people for the whole duration was wonderful. The running is much rockier and in some ways more severe than the likes of Bleaklow where I'm used to running. Running in a new area pushed me out of my comfort zone - if I can even vaguely claim to have of those one running in the wilderness of Bleaklow and Kinder. Welsh paths and trods are much different to the likes of the springy peat of Derbyshire....but it's good to try different things and push yourself. You learn each time you're out, about yourself, your technique, your gear and your mental attitude. There's still heaps for me to work on.


ps. not many photos on this run...it was raining a fair bit after our descent down to Nantcol and a soggy camera wasn't part of the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment