Tuesday 22 May 2012

London

It was a flying visit to London last week with two aims: London 2012 Olympic training, and catching up with a few friends (always a pleasure). The training went well, learning lots about the role of the medical teams at the Olympics. I can't say much more than that really - social media restrictions are in place. But in case you didn't know, both myself and Tim will be at the Olympics and working within the medical team. It's very exciting. There's a lot of hype about it being the biggest event the UK will see for many years, and to be honest, it's well justified. 

We drove past the Olympic Park, perhaps where we'll be working...not the best of pictures taken from a moving car, but good to see that buildings have taken shapes since I was last down that way just over a year ago.

Olympic Stadium and the 115m high ArcelorMittal Orbit observation tower (hope I get chance to go up it!)

I had some time to wander around Greenwich on Sunday (Tim was on a CPD course) so I had a mooch around the park.

View from Greenwich Observatory - now with a partly build grandstand for the Equestrian events
There's evidence of what might be jumps for the horses scattered around the park, including a couple right at the edge of the boating lake. Seeing those, and the spectators stand makes me a little envious of those who'll be watching during the games. I lived around Greenwich park for nigh on 11 years, seeing various events take place there (best of all were the Red Bull Air Races). So, in some ways I'll miss not being around to watch horses gallop around my old back garden. Not to worry though, I'll definitely be having an adventure elsewhere at the games.
Nelson's ship in a bottle by Yinka Shonibare
Nelson's ship in a bottle was installed in Trafalgar Square on the 4th plinth for a while...I didn't see it down there, but am pleased it's found a home in nautical Greenwich.

The Cutty Sark
I was living in Greenwich in 2007 when the fire took place at the Cutty Sark. It was sad to see such an iconic Greenwich landmark reduced to a pile of smouldering embers almost 5 years to the day (the fire took place on 20 May). To my delight the restoration and it's reopening to the public is now complete, in fact it only opened last month (25 April).  I would have spent a little time wandering round the new exhibition but at £12 for adult entry I gave it a miss. I went on the ship several years ago, and I'm not fussed enough to part with my cash.

Photo of the poster showing the glorious bow of the Cutty Sark

View of the Shard from Greenwich pier
The Shard didn't exist when I moved to London. Nor did the iconic Gherkin (30 St Mary's Axe) - the construction of which I've just learnt started in 2001, a year after I moved to London. The skyline of London was one thing I saw change over my time living there so to see the progress of the Shard since I left was quite something.  Still, it will never compete with the sight of James Thorn and Bleaklow from my bedroom window. Now there's a sight to keep me truly captivated for quite some time yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment