Sunday 11 March 2012

Illusions

A little over a year ago we were packing up our London lives and heading north. To clear out some stuff we sold bits, gave a few away and did some recycling. Included in the items to sell was my little red dress.


Quite gorgeous I'm sure you'll agree. I've only worn it a few times. It's quite an expensive dress, but sadly it no longer fitted me. Or should that be I no longer fitted into the dress?!  So it went up for sale, sadly with no interest. Not able to part with it to a charity I packed it up, brought it north, and thought maybe one day I'll fit it...

I've often said, much to the amusement of my other half, that I was convinced the only reason I didn't fit into the dress was because my ribs/bones had changed shape - due to my olympic style training and commuting 6 miles to/from work on my bike each day. OK, so I exaggerated. Quite some. I was totally under the illusion that I hadn't put on that much weight. I knew I was gaining weight, I knew I was not fitting clothes. The dress was a snug fit anyway. Honest.

One year later.

I've been training a fair amount...my posts are sometimes about the strength and conditioning training I do, often about my running so if you read other posts you'll know what I've been doing. I know I've lost weight. I know I'm looking better, slimmer, fitter. I know I'm stronger. I just didn't know it. I just didn't realise it. Something inside wouldn't let me believe it.

I've joked occasionally about the dress. Threatened to try it on and see what happens. Maybe to prove I was right, that I really could have changed the shape of my ribcage. Well yesterday morning I did just that and reached for the dress. Unzipped the cover, and...

Guess what.

I now can fit into the dress. Much to the amusement and glee of my other half, I announced that my ribs have shrunk!! They're now a size and shape that allows me to not only get into the dress, but I now can't wear it as it falls off me!!!! What a shock that was. A very nice grin inducing shock.

So if you're after a size 12 gorgeous red dress as modelled by my former self, only worn about 3 times, give me a shout. I shall now sell it for the bestest of reasons and be grinning for some time to come.

So herewith a lesson to all you people out there who, like me, sit there in denial about your real true weight/size/shape. The dress never lies. Oh, and rib cages do not change shape. It's just the illusion I played in my mind to set aside the reality of me being fat.

Go out there and take a long hard look in the mirror. If numbers make you tick then stare at that figure on the scales if you need to. Get that best dress you save for special occasions out of the wardrobe. Does it fit, is it snug, or are you (so you think) never going to be that (smaller) size ever again?

What are the images your eyes see actually saying to you?  Where does your brain say your weight/size should be? Be honest with yourself. Then, if you don't like what you truly see and feel get off of the sofa and does some damn hard work to reach your goal. It is soooooo worth it to truly know that you do look good, believe me. (I'm still grinning).

Strength & condition training #hardworkpaysoff


1 comment:

  1. Or you could see if your mum or mine could take the seams in so you can still wear it!

    ReplyDelete