Thursday 20 June 2013

Mountain Equipment Ultratherm Jacket

A few weekends ago my other half was trying on this jacket. After a bit of discussion I realised it could be a good alternative to my Arteryx Atom SV. I always stick that in my rucksack on long runs in winter, well autumn, winter, and spring...or any sort of weather that could have me seriously chilling off if I had to stop. The size 10 Ultratherm was too small, the 12 would be OK. I actually think a size 11 would be perfect for me, but alas they don't do odd sizes. I thought about it and put it on my 'list of things to seek out for next winter'. Then, a discount code for ratrace appeared about 48hrs later and 48hrs later still the jacket arrived.

So, how is it? Well so far it has been used, but not in anger. I was spectating at the Round The Resers race last night and took it with me for later on, knowing that I'd probably not be heading home until after dusk. The evening was warm in the sun, definitely shorts and vest weather. The Ultratherm seemed like overkill lurking in my rucksack. Moving to the finish line to watch the runners coming in, especially my team mates in Glossopdale Harriers, we were stood in the shade.

More importantly we were only feet from the reservoir and a million midges decided it was feeding time. The Ultratherm was my only long sleeved option so on it went. The temperature had dropped a little now the sun was lower, and in the shade it was chilling off a little. I was a bit concerned I'd be too hot but my temperature regulated well. The inside of the sleeves is really comfortable with the micro-grid liner. Good to know, as often I'll be out running in just a vest or tshirt.

With all runners in it was a brisk walk to a pub (labour club?) for the prize giving and a well earned pint for the runners. The jacket was comfortable on the move, still not too hot. Inside though I soon started to get hotter with the jacket on, even sitting still so I was back down to t-shirt only.  I'll report back at some point once it's been used in anger.

The Mountain Equipment website has this information on the jacket:

SUMMARY
Windproof, fast drying and functional across a huge range of temperatures and conditions the Ultratherm Jacket is essential kit for everyone from serious mountain runners to Alpine climbers.  Perfect when worn alone for the most highly aerobic activities and yet layers smoothly under shells and insulation in harsh conditions.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• He30 outer fabric; exceptionally lightweight and windproof
• EXOLITE I inserts aid fit during dynamic activity
• Micro-grid wicking lining to regulate temperature and next-to-skin
comfort
• HC hood is adjustable and concealed in collar
• Active cut with articulated and pre-shaped sleeves
• Twin-needle and flatlocked seam construction
• Offset Napoleon chest pocket
• YKK® moulded front zip with rear flap
• Lycra® bound cuffs and hem drawcord
• Packs into chest pocket


No comments:

Post a Comment