Saturday 30 March 2013

Salford 10km Race

My first ever road race. 10 kilometres of tarmac round Salford. A glorious sunshine, blue sky day at the end of March and a wonderful social occasion with 16 Glossopdale Harriers on the entry list. No wonder with it being the first counter in our road, cross-country and trail championship. I'm not really expecting to score highly on this, but to be honest I probably stand a better chance of gaining points in this championship than the fell one (heavy lean towards longer races, and races further from home - neither my personal preference).

With lifts organised (thanks to John for mine) for everyone we all congregated in the registration room. My first challenge was securing a timing chip - someone had mysteriously taken mine so I was no longer going to be "154" and number buddy with two club mates. Oh well, twenty minutes later and thanks to the wonderful ladies on registration I was now "118".

There was chatter about what kit to wear, long sleeved or just club vest? Gloves/no gloves? Nothing to change for me. I knew the temperature outside was chilly, warming a little in the sun. But I'd decided on my kit, only minor change was ditching the hat owing to the addition of warmth - no icy wind I'm used to on the hill.

Next was warm up. I'd already had a foam roller session at home while I waited for my lift. This was a gentle jog up and down the road, plus some instruction from Caity on gradually increasing speed and high knee lifts.

Soon enough there's a gathering of runners in the road...we'd spied a vague line across the road but I was surprised there wasn't any "Start" sign - no timing mats either? Apparently there was a quick speech by the race starter but to be honest in the middle of the huddle I heard nothing. The next thing I knew was runners were speeding ahead of me...so I followed and quickly remembered to start my garmin.

Now, I've never run a 10km road race before. In fact no 10km race at all. Fell races are usually a random distance. So, I had no idea what time I would run. The club 10km handicap race has been held a couple of times this year but I've always been working. I've run the route which includes two hills, one that drags for 2.5km, and my time was about 57 minutes. I'm reliably informed at least 2 minutes can be taken off for the hills, so my aim was a sub 55 race. My target for the year is sub 50, but I didn't think I had any chance of getting that at Salford, and in fact would have been really happy with sub 55.

Scrawled on my hand was the kilometre paces for 55, 54 and 53 minutes. I'd decided to just run and see how I did, aiming to be under 55 so running less than 5:30 on average. Chatting to other Glossopdalers before the start I'd secured a few targets to help pull me along in the first few kilometres, just to keep me on track and stop me from running too slow. Yes I can keep an eye on my garmin, but knowing others are more experienced at pacing and have run many races before is useful.

So, chatting away to Rachel right before we start, I find I'm running alongside her for the first 500m. She's aiming for about 48. Too fast for me. But I seem to be doing ok with the pace - quick glance at my watch and I'm doing 4:30. Way too fast. I'll slow down soon. But then I wonder how long I can sustain this pace? Will I blow up before the halfway mark? So many questions. Difficult decisions to judge for a road racing virgin.

In the end I stay with Rachel for 2km or so then she's gradually pulling away from me - even with me making as much use of straightening out corners as I possibly can. Thanks to Neil for that tactic on the club handicap run. I probably keep her in sight for another 1km. Nev had also been in sight for a while but he's gone too. I'm all alone. Well not exactly but the runners around me are unknown. Times unknown. No use to me for pacing. I carefully ignore them. Not wanting to get dragged into running too fast or too slow. I need to now pace myself. There's still 7km to go. I'm astounded I've managed the first 2km at about 4:30 pace - thanks Rachel!

I get my head down and try and focus on breathing. It's now laboured and I don't dare think what my heart rate is doing. I know it's hard work. How long can I sustain it. I knew I needed to slow down or I'd have to stop so I even off at around 5min/km. The halfway point comes and goes. It's a steady drag up (not quite a totally flat course) to what will be the finish line and I knew Neil would be there cheering me on...he is, and a few others who shout words of encouragement. It works and all thoughts of giving up are shoved out. Rule #5. I'm halfway. That's my usual point in any run or race for knowing if I've got that far I can get to the end. But just how fast will I be?

At some point around the 5km point it dawns on me that I'm holding around 5min/km pace and I'm a minute up with doing the first 2km faster. Hmmm. How does that calculate for a sub-50? Just. I could just do it IF I can sustain the pace. I'm not sure. I settle again and keep working hard. Pushing not to slow down. The sun is directly into my eyes on the 6-8km stretch which sort of helps as all I can do is keep my focus on the next short stretch. I glance up to see the bends and keep taking the straightest line possible. Each little bit I etch off a corner is a bit saved. This road running lark is weird I conclude.

But thoughts quickly return to a possible sub50 race. At 6km gone I do a calculation and reckon IF I sustain around 5min/km I could just do it with maybe 30-60 seconds under. It's a big ask. My heart is beating crazy fast, my breathing is laboured and my left hamstring is sort of complaining a little. Like that, I'm about to cramp on you feeling. I stretch out my legs, tell myself to lean into the stride. There's a slight decline just after 8km coming up and I know I can stretch out a bit there, gain a few seconds maybe.

At about 7km I hear a "good running Lynne" or words similar...its fellow club mate John....how the heck did he get behind me? He's soon past and pulling away from me. But I use him to pull me along again. He's quicker than me, I push the puzzling thoughts of why he was behind me out and just try to keep in touch with him....the invisible tether soon gets stretched and I'm alone again.

I knew I needed to be at or under 40 minutes at 8km. I was just about there. That meant I needed to run another 2 kilometres at 5min/km pace. Wow. This hurts. Keep going. Use the downhill bit. I'll need it. The long straight to the finish is slightly uphill again and I knew that was going to hurt.

I round the corner at the bottom of the route and head to the finish. A chap shouts "just one more to go"....he's clearly talking miles as I'm still showing I've about 1.5km to go.

1km to go and a sub50 looks possible. Wow. (I said that a lot). This hurts. (said that lots too). Flipping heck I'm going to get under 50 minutes for 10km. Keep it going.

I know I'll have a welcoming party of Glossopdalers at the finish line...I'd counted on being the slowest in the club. And there they were....shouting words of encouragement, pushing me to the line just beyond them. Where was the bloody line. I needed to stop....there it is. Those blue mats. Wow. I've finished. Click. Garmin off and yes, it's showing sub50. Yes!!!! I just hope the official results show the same. With the confusing start and no chip/timing mats we were going off gun time so there'd be a slight difference in time. I had 49:28 on the garmin and officially its 49:30. I'll let them have 2 seconds. This time.

Here's my split times:

14:30

24:35

34:53

45:00

55:08

65:11

75:06

85:08

95:02

104:52


The moments after finishing are a blur of timing chip removal, drinking icy cold water, seeing club mates, congratulations hugs, and a growing sensation of feeling sick. That didn't wear off totally for about 5 hours. Then came the weariness. I've never felt so overwhelmingly tired all over. And the weird thing is my legs actually felt fine (still do). No cramp despite the earlier warning signs. No pain. Just an overwhelming need to not do a great deal. I eventually went for a short walk in the afternoon sunshine and legs are fine.

(thanks for the photo Kirsty)
Many thanks to my fellow club mates for such a wonderful atmosphere, and the support from everyone else, especially Neil who turned up to support even though he wasn't running. A massive thanks goes to the coaches who've been training me over the past year or so. Nik Cook and his running programmes have undoubtedly got me to this amazing time. I would simply not be running so well without Nik making me accountable for my running. Getting out there consistently and pushing those heart rate zones has clearly worked beyond what I knew possible. Sean and Zoran at Strength & Performance gym for the strength and conditioning work. The individual programme that's written for me is definitely helping with the running. Something people would do well to realise this. It's not just cross-training, but training and resting intelligently that allows growth. Most importantly thank you to my partner Tim for all of the support, motivation and inspiration he gives me. I'm clearly biased (given that I'm a soft tissue therapist myself and Tim's partner) but Tim really does give a brilliant sports massage - that's just one part of my recovery, the others being rest and regular use of the foam roller. But nothing beats the hands on work from Tim to keep my muscles working at their best.


Here's the results for the Glossopdale Harriers gang - congratulations to Nev on his category win:

Pos   Num   Forename   Surname   Cat   Team   Perf%   GunTime   
8580MichaelMawbyMGlossopdale Harriers72.6000:37:09
119175SteveCrossmanM45Glossopdale Harriers75.2000:38:26
147254ThomasSkeltonMGlossopdale Harriers67.8600:39:45
192432CharlieEatonMGlossopdale Harriers65.0000:41:30
202156CaitlinRiceFGlossopdale Harriers71.1200:42:04
257155KirstyJohnsonFGlossopdale Harriers67.6600:44:13
264264VaughanMcKayM60Glossopdale Harriers73.5100:44:33
29046AndyBurnettM45Glossopdale Harriers63.5400:45:29
2936NevilleMcGrawM65Glossopdale Harriers75.5100:45:36
315114IanMcGarryM40Glossopdale Harriers60.2800:46:14
354444RachelHigginbottomF40Glossopdale Harriers65.4800:47:40
379480JohnStephensonM50Glossopdale Harriers61.5800:48:46
389118LynneTaylorF35Glossopdale Harriers60.5900:49:30
425366MalcBrownM45Glossopdale Harriers56.3000:51:20
438562SharnWhaitesF40Glossopdale Harriers60.0400:51:59
447521RachelWaltonF35Glossopdale Harriers57.1500:52:29


Full results are here and my garmin track is here: Salford 10km Race - have a close look at the average and max heart rates...I'm speechless. No wonder it hurt so much!!

The result also means I've achieved one of my 2013 Aspirations#1   Run 10km in under 50 minutes. Complete and coaster obtained.





No comments:

Post a Comment