Thursday 28 March 2013

2013 Aspirations - Update

My goals for this year were defined. I'm coming up to three months into the year and thought it timely to have a check on where I've got to so far.

#1   Run 10km in under 50 minutes
On the club handicap 10km route I've run 57:50. There's 135m ascent, which includes a long uphill drag for about 2.5km so I'm told by club runners who do flat 10km races that you can take a couple of minutes off that. Well, we'll see tomorrow what my flat 10km time is....it's time for the Salford 10km race in the morning.

#2   Run Glossop to Hope in under 3hrs 45mins - see my Home from Home blog for my 2012 run.
I've not done a lot of longer runs so far this year. I'll be looking to run this route about the same time of year (June, maybe later) so will build up to longer distances.

#3   Run Herod Farm fell race quicker than last year's race. I'd be happy with under 40mins.
Not long until this year's race on 17 April. To be honest, with all the snow and ice we've had my off-road running has taken a back seat. The focus has been on hill reps and building speed. How that translates when it comes to race day will have to wait. Best get my fell shoes out soon though, this race has a couple of lung busting hills.

#4   10 chin ups - this was on last years list, and I did reach 7 at one point...must try harder this year.
I'm back up to my high point of last year. Yesterday was a good day in the gym. Not only did I get a pb on bench pressing (6x40kg on my 5th set), I did 7 chin ups. Even better, that was also my 5th set, so I'd already done 4x4. I reckon I've a couple more in my if I go for it fresh. Soon. I sense this one will come soon!

#5   Box jump onto big box (will measure it next time I'm at the gym - its 31 inches high)
Box jumps are off the training programme this month and I've got hurdles instead. I was about 5 inches off target so it seems feasible.

#6   Complete my Walking Group Leaders Award training
Done. I did the training last month - the blog report is here.


#7  Successfully achieve my Walking Group Leaders Award (won't know if this is possible in 2013 until the training has been completed)

#8  Handstand press-up
I continue to build my confidence with handstands and at the end of each gym session I do some handstand holds. Even after a heavy training session yesterday which had tired my shoulders I managed a 30sec, 20sec, 20sec hold set. Other strength work is building up shoulder strength. My particularly least favourite is the push press with a 20kg bar.


warming up for push press

No comments:

Post a Comment