Sunday 24 June 2012

Misty

In my non-racing mode today but still needing a long run of around 2hrs 20mins I headed out from Hayfield up onto Kinder. The weather had pretty much dried up, but there was still loads of misty claggy cloud hanging on to the Kinder Plateau. Running in the opposite direction to the racers in the Kinder Trog my plan was to cheer on as many Glossopdale Harriers and other fell running friends as I could, yet still get a decent run in myself. Here's a few photos from my run:

The White Cabin - a distant speck under the central summit of The Knott - my eventual target before dropping down into Hayfield

Kinder shrouded in claggy cloud with the full flow of the Downfall just visible

Heading up the steep rocky steps to Kinderlow End

Looking down Red Brook

Kinder's edge path with the Downfall hidden in the clag - this was about as clear as it got!

Kinder Downfall - the most water I've ever seen going over it...and it was going down, not up as it usually does despite the blustery wind

Rocky steps down from the western end of Kinder....descending into more claggy cloud

Legs in perfect sync!! Some of the front runners here at Mill Hill

Tim is just visible on his way down from Mill Hill....before the climb up to Kinder's edge path

Claire Aspinall of Pennine Fell Runners looking strong and relaxed over Mill Hill. Congratulations on winning 2nd lady.


No. 65 - Andrea Minshull - who would have been my invisible tow-rope had I been racing. Well done on coming in about an hour faster than you'd expected!!!


My final descent down the Snake Path back into Hayfield. The path seemed strangely longer than I remembered!
My plan worked well - I headed out from Bowden Bridge about 50mins before the start of the race and I had thought I'd be at the Downfall to see the front guys. Slight adjustment on my timings had me at the Downfall with approx 20mins to spare, so I thought, so I carried on, not wanting to get chilled in the clag. I guestimated I could get to the western point of Kinder, just 2.5-3km away in time to see them climbing up. Not to be. The clag was fully down and my plan was scuppered. So I dropped down (and then slightly up) to Mill Hill, not knowing if I'd been passed in the clag on slightly faster trods than the edge path. Nope. Pretty much perfect timing. After only 2-3minutes the first guys came past.

Much cheering, clapping and general support giving done and I was starting to chill after 20mins or so. I had chatted to someone who'd come up William Clough - and they'd reported a muddy torrent. So, using my inbuilt compass and a bit of local knowledge I heather bashed and popped out nicely at the White Cabin to the east of The Knott. Legs are a little scratched, but I took the opportunity to practice high feet lifting in the heather. There is apparently a trod down by the grouse butts, which I used briefly, but in the clag I just took a bearing and bee-lined. It worked. And timing back into Hayfield was good too, giving me just enough time to change, have a quick drink and see the race winner come through the finishing funnel.

A grand run. My run was just under 2hrs 15mins; 14.37km. I think my heart rate was a little high compared to what I should have run but the wind was so noisy I couldn't hear the garmin alert...it must have been going crazy at some points. Oooops. Sorry running coach. Will try harder next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment