Tuesday 7 June 2011

Hobble and Hare

Headed up to Bleaklow Head yesterday in search of a missing mountain bike (biker had been rescued by Mountain Rescue but abandoned his bike - as it turned out someone had beaten us to the find!). So 4km run to the cairn, doing OK, felt a mild twinge in my left knee. Oh no. Its the ITB issue come back again. Damn. I decided to give it a rest by walking, still heading out. After another kilometer or so the pain was not easing so I sat down and waited for my other half to go ahead and see if he could locate the mtb. No joy on his return and we head back to the car. I tied to run again but my knee was just too painful. I'm gutted. We chat about the possible reasons and put it down to southern softy legs just not being used to doing high mileage on rough ground. Not that I'm actually running a whole 10km when I go out that far, or that 10km is indeed that far at all. But, it's all relative. To me 10km is a fair old distance, and on the rough fell terrain it is just too far. Lesson learnt, and the RICE protocol applied once home - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Oh yeah, and a few decent sports massages to flush out the leg and ease the tension in the muscles surrounding the knee, mainly psoas, gastrocnemius, soleus and glute max - and the ITB of course. Interestingly it was my left psoas which was weakened, as found out at my osteo appointment last week.

So, recovery is in progress, and adjustments to my mileage have taken place on my training schedule. Its frustrating as I love getting further out on a run, I shall be investigating routes that get me away from town but keep the miles low - all without driving (seems pointless driving to go running, defeats the object in my mind).

Bonus of walking on the route meant that we saw a hare....something like this I think:

No comments:

Post a Comment