Thursday 9 November 2017

Cycling Snake Pass

What a superb stroke of luck that the week the Snake Pass is closed for routine maintenance we have decent weather. I've been doing a bit of indoor cycling using a turbo so this was the perfect opportunity for one last shot at having some fun on the roads without worrying about traffic.

Monday 23rd Oct
Tim and I set off with the aim of getting me to the top and back. After the initial resistance from legs I get round the steep bit near the bottom and then settle into a good rhythm all the way up. There's a decent bit of breeze blowing - mostly as a tailwind. At the top we pause for me to catch my breath - then carry on over a little way just to the second layby.

on the way up

Monday summit

Another brief pause and I'm on my way back to the summit, straight into a very stiff headwind on the steepest bit of the whole of the snake pass!! I do it, but legs are burning. The headwind is such that we need to pedal on the descent back to Glossop. Hands and feet are chilly cold but bearable.
15km in about an hour and 445m ascent

Tuesday 24th 
Keen to have another go but the rain is persistent all day.

Wednesday 25th
We grab another decent weather window though today is much cooler. The wind is still going some but not at bad as Monday. This time we keep going over the top and on to the Snake Pass Inn. Roadworks are just beyond, and although we can probably get through I have to get back home for work.
21.2km in 1hr 18 and 560m ascent
Heading back up to the summit

Wednesday summit

Returning to the summit from Snake Pass Inn


Thursday 26th
A solo cycle today as Tim is off doing other things. I want to feel brave and continue past the top and over the other side but lack of knowing how to fix a puncture/repair a mechanical cause me to doubt my abilities. I must get Tim to show me that stuff again! I do however succeed in getting to the top and back down. Today I just savour the traffic-free roads, slowing to admire the views one can rarely see for more than a fleeting glimpse.  I'm thankful for virtually no wind in any direction today.
14km in just under an hour with 383m ascent

Thursday's solo summit....and yes, I'm wearing Tim's warm top!


Friday 27th
The last day the road will be closed to traffic for probably quite a while. I heard yesterday that they are aiming to open the road by 2pm so as soon as we finish work at 10am we quickly change and get the bikes out. Not much wind again - brilliant - and beautiful sunshine - what a treat.
Our aim today is to get me all the way over to Ladybower and back. We consider getting to Fairholmes but I know that will add on maybe another 10km or so - I keep it as a possibility depending on how I feel once we're descending towards the reservoir.
Up we go, legs feeling OK but know this is the 4th time up in 5 days. Will I be able to get all the way to Ladybower....and back? I throw doubts and concerns out of mind and settle into the rhythm of pedalling, admiring the view, chatting with Tim as we can cycle side by side for much of the ride. There's a few places we need to slow as we pass workers doing their maintenance stuff but at no point do we need to get off. Onwards, the summit comes and goes and we are over the top and on our way down. It seems more undulating than I remember it from driving over, yet we are constantly and steadily descending. Soon enough we are at Ladybower. Wow. I did it!!!
I'm so chuffed we push on to Fairholmes - the worst that can happen on the return is that I sit down and wait while Tim goes to get the van and rescues me!!  A swift tea and rejuvenating cake later and we are back on the bikes on our return. The road alongside Ladybower is surprisingly steep in places and my legs are feeling it. I also feel tired in my back and neck from just being in the same position for so long.



The A57 is rejoined and we turn towards Glossop. I haven't looked at how far we have come, we aren't on a time limit so I tell my aches and discomfort to shut up and enjoy the journey back. The autumn colours on the trees are delightful and the sunshine warming on cold hands.
Near Hagg Farm I really don't want to be on the bike. Just from a physical aspect, my body craves to be in a different position. I know I must have another hour or so to go....Tim gently pushes me to reach the layby at Birchen Clough before stopping....for I really want to stop now. I push on, it hurts. At the layby I get off the bike and stretch. This is the low point. I know the only option is the get back on, pedal and endure...all the while mindful that I am so lucky to be able to firstly physically be able to do this, and secondly be fortunate to have the time and live right on the doorstep of this closed road. I dig in, determined not to stop and walk.
A maintenance chap slows his vehicle and tells us the road is going to open in 10-15mins - we reckon just enough time to get to the top and start descending. That really helps focus me to keep going!7

Up ahead there's another two riders who passed when I was stretching....we slowly gain and then overtake them right before the steep final push to the summit. Nothing for it but to keep them behind so I use masses of mental strength and keep on pedalling. I alternate seated fast spins with standing harder pushes. I'm not sure which hurts more but I finally reach the top and we pause. I'm not sure I could have stayed on the bike any longer, but I did it. After a brief rest we hop back on the bikes and enjoy our final descent back to Glossop. 

Friday summit...looking back to the East and the cyclists I'd managed to stay ahead

As we pass the golf course on the edge of Glossop the road is being re-opened. Perfect timing.

As we turn back onto our road I check my watch....48.7km....nothing for it but to add a cool-down lap to the turning circle and back to round it up to 50km. My longest ever bike ride, my first time riding over the Snake Pass...and back....and probably one of the physically hardest things I've ever done. To say I'm chuffed is an understatement. This was a goal for me next year, and something that was motivating me as I pedal on the turbo over winter. I'm going to have to find a new goal now!!
50.2km in 2hrs55 (incl a good 10min tea/cake stop) and 992m ascent (no way did I have energy to find 8more metres to round that one up). 
A huge huge thank you to Tim for looking after me, giving me the confidence to do all of these rides, especially Snake Success to Fairholmes and back.

Totals for the week on the bike:
109.7km
6hrs 28mins
2588m ascent

Time for a few rest days!

No comments:

Post a Comment