Monday 30 September 2013

Incremental

Since mid August I've been gradually increasing the distance of my long runs. I did a few long days while I was in Switzerland in early August, with a few of the days around or just above 20km. They were decent days out, but owing to the big ascents you inevitably get in the Swiss alps the days were mixed running and walking. All very enjoyable and good time on the feet. Since our holiday I've been working towards running the Edale Skyline route, and I'm almost there. But not quite. My longest run until recently was 25km last June, since which I've not done many long runs so the Skyline route a big challenge for me to work towards.

I went up to the Brown Knoll area yesterday to watch this year's Edale Skyline race. I was somewhat jealous of the runners and wished I'd started getting longer miles in earlier in the year. Still, I was secretly pleased not to be running in the 'moderate breeze' that was very blustery and knocking the runners around - my lungs and strong winds are not friends as I was reminded on my long run on Saturday! A gorgeous day for the race though (there's a few photos below) and some great running by Glossopdale Harriers and other fell running friends. Well done to all who ran the race.

Sitting around waiting for the runners to come past I was trying to work out how my training was going. I thought it was a good idea to recap just what I have done in the last few months. That way I can see if progress is going how I want it to. Here's how it's all panned out with just the running I do. I also mix in recovery turbo sessions, strength training, walks, stretching, foam rollering, sports massage and total rest days, but here's the running:

11/08 - 9km
13/08 - 10.5km
17/08 - 17.7km in 2:45 and 1028m ascent

23/08 - 5.5km
24/08 - 18.5km in 2:27 and 882m ascent

26/08 - 7km tempo run
28/08 - 4x 3min hill reps
31/08 - 20.11km in 2:39 with 620m ascent

03/09 - 5x 1km intervals
03/09 - 8.2km
07/09 - 25.4km in 2:29 and 464m ascent. flatter run to focus on distance

09/09 - 8.6km tempo run
11/09 - 4x 3:30min hill reps
13/09 - 5km
15/09 - 21.47km in 1:58 with 142m ascent. flat run to work on speed/distance

17/09 - 5x 400m sprints
18/09 - 5x 3:30min hill reps
19/09 - 9.1km
21/09 - 26.62km in 3:33 with 851m ascent

23/09 - 5.5km
25/09 - 4x 4min hill reps
26/09 - 8km
28/09 - 29.2km in 3:53 with 894m ascent

I'm really pleased with how it's going. Distance is building gradually and I've got a few flatter long runs in so know my pace can be good over the distance too. The last two weeks have seen me do my longest ever runs and I can honestly say I don't feel too tired afterwards - that is of course once I've got over the initial feelings of 'thank goodness that's done'. I can honestly say that after having a cup of tea and a few hours rest I feel like I could run again. I therefore judge my progress to be going very well indeed. This coming week is slightly different for me because of work and other commitments so I will see what I get done before deciding whether or not to do a long run, shorter long run or just to have a rest.  In the meantime, here's a few photos from Edale Skyline yesterday (the full set are on facebook):

Looking towards Brown Knoll

Looking down towards the check point at the top of Jacobs Ladder 

Glossopdale Harrier Caity Rice heading to the check point

No comments:

Post a Comment