Tuesday 4 October 2011

Blustery Bogs

I was enlisted by a friend who's just moved to Glossop to show her a few local footpaths, help her get her bearings on the hills she can see from her garden, and perhaps a little instruction in map reading as its something she's not really done before. So, we met at 8am this morning and sat on a stone mulling over the map, looking at features and generally taking in the route we had planned - a circular walk you can see most of from her house.

Our first target is Cock Hill. No issues reaching this, just the noticeable chill to the wind which we've not had lately. There were several stops to point out features we were passing, what was coming up and what to expect from the terrain as we progressed. By the time we'd reached Glossop Low and over to Clough Edge I needed to put on my spare fleece, and was vaguely regretting not bringing more warm clothes. My friend openly admits to being a slow walker - and with the slow pace and frequent stops I was feeling the chill. Not too bad, but definitely noticeable.

From Glossop Low we headed east-ish towards Torside Castle, and turned south at the grouse butts, using them as a navigational aid to reach Dog Rock.  I was delighted the peat was fairly dry, enjoying testing my lightfootedness over the boggier parts of the path. With experience you can pretty much tell which bogs are going to be man-eaters and which will support your weight. I think my friend thought me mad constantly choosing to bash across the bogs while she avoided them. I guess I've just got used to them over the past six months. I was also in my INOV8 Roclites...enjoying not being in walking boots and perfectly comfortable over the 12km walk.

At Dog Rock the wind had really picked up, no time to sit and enjoy the view or the glorious sunshine fighting its way though the blustery clouds. A shame, it would have been nice to stop and review the map, pointing out the names of hills and cloughs but not to be today. A steady pace was set heading downwards, I was keen to be out of the wind. Soon gaining the Mossy Lea path we were almost back in Old Glossop and had been out on the hill about 3 hours....so much slower than I'm used to, but most enjoyable. Waving my friend goodbye we separated just before the bus turning circle and I did a quick jog over Shire Hill to get some warmth flowing. Home and a hot coffee sorted me out lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment