Wednesday 13 November 2013

Twinkle Twinkle

Last night was club running night. I did what I often do - I looked at the planned route and knew that attempting to run that route would not be entirely enjoyable because of the distance and pace some of the (mostly) guys go at. So, I planned an easy run, just about 8km and the idea was to go slow, get used to running in the dark, and have a social run rather than a full on night time training expedition at tempo pace. Sorry guys, but that's what the regular club runs feel like to me sometimes (most of the time? which is clearly the point of training runs, but darkness on top of pace isn't easy for me)!

Anyway, seven of us gathered and headed out with the clear rule that no-one runs alone, and we run at the pace of the slowest....most of all, we were to enjoy it. Which we did. Quite wonderfully. There was no pressure, plenty of stops, walking on some slightly technical bits of terrain, definitely walking most of the uphill bit, and a wonderful lights-out pause at the top of Lightside to appreciate the view, the stars and how lucky we are to live in a fabulous place with the hills on our doorstep. You really don't need to go very far from the streets of Glossop to be away from everything.

Twinkling lights of Glossop from the top of Lightside
I'm much more positive about running at night now. While I can run during the day because of the way my work is scheduled I do miss the social aspect of club runs so my easy/short runs with the club will be a great way of keeping the social side up over the coming months. I'm aiming for at least one night run every fortnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment